Thursday, April 15, 2010

i need a new pair of shoes

there comes a time when you can choose to be just like me or just like you. i don't know what's working. am i going to really climb this whole new mountain? there's a chinook over the horizon, the wind is drumming against the oaks and the spruces. the birds are being thrown back towards the Atlantic Sea, beating their wings with the might in their bones, full of worms and sun flower seeds. i thought the shoes i picked out today would keep my soles on the flat, always-there ground, thought they would suit my anxious muscles and my never-faltering urge to turn right around and run back to my bed that is full of bread crumbs. i have dirty feet, looking older than they are because they've been on broken glass and pine needles during my midnight wanderings through the neighbourhood. i walk because the street lights hide my name that i have written all over my dead skin. it's dead for there hasn't been a single arm to wrap around me, to keep the heat and love in.
i've built myself a well for this dry spell - i knew i would need to be refreshed in the days that the rain refused to drop from the clouds and into our palms. i wondered when the rope would fray itself too much and when that bucket would crash down to the depths. i need so much water! i know i have the luck of a tire rolling over a field of cacti and angry scorpions. i thought that would would last me only 365 days with how hard i pull it against the stones. it looks like there must be angel hair weaved through the twine; i'm still hauling the bucket up. this will never be a solution to my flaky skin and that's why i'm here now, with my shovel and sweat bands, throwing dirt piles into my well.
this is the labour that i need, just like the pioneers who never knew about distracting drugs that saved a tortured mind. i'll always have magic on my side, though. i don't need to fly high in my mind with a fake hope of happiness and faith. you don't know what i know so i wish you a patirent mind as i top off my well with a daisy i picked from the grass lands. just know, you're the reason why i blistered my hands and clogged my pores. i don't need the extra hydration. believe me when i say, my dry spell shot itself in the toe.

No comments:

Post a Comment